QuickBooks 2017 for the desktop is here! This release contains a number of new features as well as improvements to existing ones. I’ll list the major changes that I’m aware of in this article. This is the 25th version of QuickBooks, I believe, if you go all the way back to the DOS version.
Note that QuickBooks Accountant should be available now (or very soon) to members of the ProAdvisor program. The general release for everyone else will be available roughly around September 22.
Here’s a quick summary of what you will see. Note that I’m working with the US versions in this article. It is not clear to me when (or if) any of these features will be available in the Canadian or UK versions of QuickBooks.
Please note that these screen shots were taken from a pre-release version, so there may be some minor differences from what you see in your copy.
The following new/updated features are available in all Windows versions of QuickBooks 2017 (Pro, Premier, Accountant, and Enterprise), except as noted:
- Scheduled Reports: The ability to automate sending reports via email at scheduled times.
- Search Improvements: Locating the information that you need, quickly and efficiently, can be important if you have a large amount of information to work with in your QuickBooks file. A number of search and filter improvements have been implemented that may help you with this task.
- Report Customization Improvements: You can now view and print information about what filters have been included in the report, as well as make multiple-record filter selections more easily.
- Security Improvements: Intuit has changed what components are used by the program to improve security, as well as some other security-related issues.
Miscellaneous Improvements: There are a number of smaller improvements, some of which can be significant depending on your situation.
- The Record Deposits icon shows the number of deposits that are available.
- A Cleared flag shows on cleared credit card charges.
- If a User is deleted, the deleted user’s name will still show on the audit trail.
- Your Company name will print on the deposit summary.
- You can copy/paste detail lines on weekly timesheets.
- There are improved notifications when you switch from multi-user mode to single user mode.
- More features can be used in multi-user mode.
- Support for high resolution monitors.
- QuickBooks Enterprise Quality Improvements. There are a number of miscellaneous improvements limited to QuickBooks Enterprise.
In addition to these changes, Intuit tells me that there will be no change in QuickBooks desktop pricing, as far as the MSRP.
To read my “deep dive” article on this feature, see QuickBooks 2017 Scheduled Reports. For now, a quick overview.
The Scheduled Reports feature lets you set up a schedule for reports and have them automatically be sent as password-protected PDF attachments to an email message at the scheduled time. Perhaps you have a sales report that you want to be sent daily to your sales staff. Maybe a weekly financial report to send to your boss. Or, if you are an accountant, monthly financial statements sent to your clients.
You’ll find Scheduled Reports in the Reports menu.
Select Schedule Setup to create a schedule. This displays your memorized reports list.
Select the reports that you want to include in this schedule by checking the box to the left of the report name. The reports you have selected will show in the list on the right.
Click the Next button, and then specify the schedule characteristics. This schedule must be given a unique name.
The next step is to prepare your email message.
Click the Schedule button and this schedule will be saved. It will show in the Scheduled Report Center.
If everything is set up properly, your recipients will get an email with all of the PDF reports attached. Those recipients will need the password to be able to view the PDF files.
I go into a lot of the details of this feature in my article, QuickBooks 2017 Scheduled Reports. There are a lot of restrictions and requirements that you have to be aware of for this to work correctly.