On June 12, 2014, Intuit released the QuickBooks 2014 R6 update for the U.S. version of QuickBooks. This is available as a manual update from the Intuit support website. I expect it will be available as an automatic update in about a week from this date. This is about the time when we start to see the smaller nagging issues get resolved, in addition to the ongoing changes for Payroll.
6/20/2014 Update: Intuit has pulled back this fix, see this article: https://www.accountexnetwork.com/blog/2014/06/quickbooks-2014-r6-bugs/
Here’s a quick list of the changes that I am aware of:
- Fixed an issue that was impairing QuickBooks performance when working on the Transaction List with multiple Rules.
- Customers using Classic mode for Bank Feeds will no longer receive an error when setting up a new online account.
- Users with Bill Pay enabled will be able to use “Inquire about payments” and “Cancel Payments” from the Bank Feeds Center.
- Users will be able to successfully Create & Send messages to their financial institution from the Bank Feeds Center. When the financial institution does not support this operation, QuickBooks will display a message notifying the user.
Crashes and Errors
- Fixed an issue that caused an Unexpected Error while creating a new company file.
- Fixed an issue that would cause the conversion of a Quicken file to fail.
- Fixed an issue that caused a C=102 error when upgrading a company file.
- Fixed an issue that caused an Unrecoverable Error when editing an account to change its type and then making it a subaccount.
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close after opening the To Do List, if the list includes a To Do without a date.
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close while working with letter templates.
- Enterprise Accountant users will now be able to see the Client Ready Payroll Reports on the Payroll Center.
- The status in the Recent Payroll table of the Payroll Center will change to “To Send” after voiding a direct deposit paycheck.
- Added a new warning message if one or more liability payments do not have a frequency set up.
- QuickBooks will now warn payroll users when their Federal liability exceeds $100.000. According to IRS, the tax payment is due by the end of the next business day when this happens.
- Fixed an issue where overtime hours on a paycheck that were pulled from a timesheet would not calculate at time and a half.
- QuickBooks will now display a message to inform the user if sending paystubs to View My Paychecks was successful or not.
- Hotkeys will now work in the “Review paycheck” and “Preview paycheck” window.
- Fixed an issue that caused the address to not auto fill correctly on the Colorado form DR 1094 form.
- Pressing ALT+S from the Payroll Info tab for an employee will now open the Sick/Vacation window.
- When rows with hyperlink/amounts are selected within the Payroll Center, they are highlighted and readable. Hyperlinks are underlined as well.
Enterprise Advanced Inventory
- Item quantity difference now update correctly when the user changes the bin selection in Inventory adjustments.
- Users can now search for items by manually entering in a barcode.
- Transaction List by Lot report now runs faster.
These issues may affect add-on programs that use the QuickBooks SDK.
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close when duplicating a transaction after a menu item is added through the SDK.
- Fixed an issue that caused the error “Could not find or create an instance of QuickBooks using InstanceFinder,” when connecting to QuickBooks while it is not running in the user interface.
- Subitems will now sort under their parents in the Find & Select windows on transactions.
- Fixed an issue that was impairing QuickBooks performance whenever the Vendor Center was launched and closed.
- QuickBooks will now remember any columns added to the Inventory Center, and not reset to default once closed.
- Column width settings on all Centers will be retained after opening and closing QuickBooks.
- Fixed an issue that caused QuickBooks to close when emailing transactions or reports.
- Fixed an issue that caused the file path to display as the company name for files converted from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks desktop.
- Fixed an issue that caused a newly created account to not immediately display in the Chart of Accounts.
- QuickBooks Messenger will no longer close automatically while in multi-user mode.
- Sales form templates set to print an legal paper size will now be displayed correctly when emailing or saving as PDF.
- When the automatic cost change preference are set to “yes,” the dialog asking about price update did not have cost change defaulted to “yes.” Now it does.
- Fixed an issue that caused the check number to be retained even after selecting to reprint it on the Print Checks Confirmation window.
- The internal QuickBooks File Doctor (described in this article) will now display results from the Network Diagnostics as well as the File Diagnostics.
- The QuickBooks File Doctor will now display the message “No network connectivity” when applicable for users running QuickBooks on Windows Vista.
- Fixed an issue that caused the wrong credit card information to appear on the Process Credit Card window (when using QuickBooks Merchant Services) after the customer is changed on the transaction prior to processing.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Transaction Journals from being exported to Excel.
- A link to the PDF repair tool was added to all error messages related to a PDF failure.
Take a look at the list. If there is a burning issue for you that is resolved, OR if you are using an Intuit Payroll product, you should update soon. If nothing affects you directly, I would wait a week or so before updating to see if there is a big outcry about a new problem that is introduced. I don’t know of any, I’m just cautious.